Makita is a worldwide leader in the professional power tool industry. Over the past 100 years we've built a reputation for using the finest raw materials, the most advanced manufacturing equipment, and the most rigorous quality testing in the industry. Headquartered in La Mirada, CA, Makita U.S.A, with offices in Chicago, Illinois, Dallas,Texas and Buford, Georgia, has been bringing Makita's best-in-class engineering advantage to professional power tool users in America since 1970.
Job Summary: Responsible for managing and growing the Makita sales revenue within the defined territory through the proper execution of Makita’s strategic initiatives and sales programs. This role is primarily focused upon residential and commercial construction supply accounts and key end-users companies. While overseeing the entire territory sales revenue and account base and for promoting Makita’s “Best-In-Class Engineering & Innovation” brand position and the extensive Makita product line.
Job duties and Responsibilities:
- Compile lists of prospective/target customers (Distribution/End-Users) for use as sales leads, based on information from business directories and publications, industry ads, trade shows, Internet Web sites, and other prospecting source, including jobsite surveillance.
- Travel throughout assigned territory to conduct Makita business; including occasional travel outside of the territory for corporate meetings, including District and National needs.
- Display and demonstrate Makita products including performing Makita product knowledge sessions for dealers and other audiences.
- Provide expertise and support regarding pricing, quoting, credit terms, orders and many other sales support and account management functions.
- Perform business reporting functions, such as, but not limited to, sales reports, account update reports, monthly reports, call reports, expense reports, mileage reports and other reports as needed.
- Present, execute and administer Corporate Sales Programs including co-op, trade agreement, rebate, strategic initiates, and promotions along with other corporate programs as needed.
- Provide input to the Marketing Department and properly utilize and distribute the Makita marketing department collateral materials, including, but not limited to, catalogs, lecture, brochures, campaigns and Point of Purchase materials.
- Coordinate, schedule, and execute customer support events, including, but not limited to, product knowledge training, product demonstration, national contractor training, shows and events, and joint sales calls.
- Create and execute strategic sales growth plans and proposals for key accounts and the territory, as needed, (i.e. monthly, quarterly, or annually).
- Support the Makita accounting department as needed, including, but not limited to, new account set up, credit applications, credit limits, credit balances and proper communications with the Account Receivable team regarding exceptions.
- Develop and continually strengthen professional relationships within all entities, internal and external, involved in our business, such as, dealer sales staff, management staff, purchasing, ownerships, including appropriate end-user key contacts and decision makers.
- Investigates and resolves customer issues and concerns.
- Stay abreast of market conductions, changes and competitor activities within the industry and territory, and communicate findings internally.
- Be cognizant of other Makita’s divisions such as manufacturing and assembly, National Industrial MRO, government/GSA, Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE), Big-Box retail, including all other divisions.
- Understand and execute a solutions base sales approach.
- Support Makita National Accounts
- Schedule account meetings, Sales update meetings, and any other meetings as required. Meetings must be conducted in a professional manner that includes written agenda, power point presentations, and sales figures, etc.
- Maintain and control Makita’s assets and their records, such as vehicles, demo tools, marketing materials, product samples, etc.
- Perform all company functions per federal, state and municipal laws and per company policies.
Applicant Qualities Desired:
- Experience working in residential and/or commercial construction industry.
- Sales professional with discipline and solution selling skills.
- Ability to build relationships to gain customer loyalty and penetrate accounts with in the market.
- Strong customer service skills with an ability to successfully cold call new and potential customers.
- Strong self-motivator, with the ability to work well independently and with others in a team environment.
- Organizational sales skills in above areas including formal presentations to distributors.
- Excellent communications skills in person, over the phone, and in writing.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Bilingual a plus. ( Spanish preferred)
Education, Skills and Experience Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from 4 year college or university; or 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of Territory Management
- Background in construction sales
- Knowledge of power tool industry and/or all phases of construction
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must be at least 21 year of age at the time of employment
- Valid driver’s license
- Safe driving record
- The employee must be able to safely operate a moving vehicle per our company policy.
- Must be able to travel extensively by car in the assigned region and by air on occasion for up to 70% of the time.
- Use of Company Vehicle
- Expense Reimbursement Plans
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Benefits
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Time Off & Holiday Pay
- Education Reimbursement
Equal Opportunity Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, veteran status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information, medical (including genetic characteristics or cancer diagnosis), actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is prohibited. Additionally, the Company will provide registered domestic partners with all rights and benefits as required by Law. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities.