Spotify’s Free Mission is the home of the team responsible for the success of Spotify’s freemium business model that allows us to deliver an amazing free experience to more than 125 million users worldwide and deliver user-centered messaging to all 230 million+ users, both Free and Premium.
We are looking for a practice leader in User Experience Research, to take our insights to the next level.
Our approach to insights at Spotify is centered on our belief in triangulation, in mixing methods and in cross-pollinating ideas by bringing together Spotifiers of different backgrounds and expertise. We are highly invested in this approach and reflect it in our organizational structure.
This role will report to the Director of Product Insights. Product Insights is a multi-discipline team of data scientists and user researchers whose mission is to ensure evidence based decision making and user focussed product development.
While maintaining the standard for validity and reliability, we encourage and celebrate creativity and experimentation with research designs and tools. We frequently try out novel approaches to gain insight into questions we haven’t explored before, or shed light into parts of the experience we haven’t studied in the past.
Some of the things we are working on:
We are developing a best-in-class messaging platform that enables Spotify to communicate with and enrich the experience of hundreds of millions of people.
We’re helping advertisers of all sizes reach interested listeners with Ad Studio, our self-serve ad platform.
We are developing new and innovative advertising experiences for Free music listeners and for listeners of podcasts on Spotify.
We are developing innovative Machine Learning solutions to increase the relevancy of promotions, improve user experience and deliver measurable advertiser outcomes.
What you'll do
- Develop the user research practice of the group across all formative and evaluative methods and ensuring we are leaders in the craft
- Actively mentor and coach a group of talented and creative researchers
- Advocate for insight driven design and product decision making and ensuring the user is at the center of everything we do
- Collaborate with embedded insight teams to elevate the impact of their work
- Lead mission critical, cross organizational insight projects to guide and shape strategy. Help drive our foundational research agenda, including frameworks that describe our users (e.g. segmentation, user journeys, JTBD)
- Partner closely with data scientists to direct and enrich strategic quantitative analyses
- Contribute to company-wide research strategy
- Define, plan, and conduct user research through generative, evaluative, contextual, lab-based, longitudinal, and remote methods with a variety of audiences across the consumer base, businesses, internal stakeholders and content promoters
Who you are
- You will have 8+ years of relevant applied UX Research experience with a degree or higher in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Social Science, or a related discipline
- You have clearly demonstrated insight driven impact in a technology focussed environment
- You have exceptional skills in qualitative and quantitative research methods and you are a leader in your field
- You are an expert at planning, scoping, conducting, analyzing and communicating research
- You are familiar with data science research methods, metrics and A/B tests, and are able to synthesize such data with qualitative user research
- You are a creative and impactful storyteller and communicator, able to speak fluently to business people, designers, engineers and other key partners
- You are a dedicated advocate of a user-centered approach to product development
- You are an independent thinker, able to work autonomously, capable of taking on loosely defined problems and translating complex thinking into practical application for diverse audiences
- You enjoy collaborative work in a dynamic, data-driven, creative environment