Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
Safeguarding our members' sensitive information is critical to our continued success. From the CEO down to each individual engineer, everyone views security as a personal responsibility. Your unique mission as a Senior Engineer on the Platform Security team is to own and lead our security centric engineering efforts across other engineer teams, and drive key decisions along the way that will influence our entire engineering organization. Security expertise is not a requirement, but we’re looking for folks excited to learn and use this opportunity to learn about applied security in a complex enterprise environment.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What you'll do:
- Embedded Security Software Program places software engineers that have been trained in our Platform Security Suite in product teams (verticals) to help these teams optimize their security posture. This is done through integration with our suite of services, implementation of specific security features, and overall security mindedness
- You will lead key efforts to implement complex solutions that are used to secure our members' data, including build out of new product features, design & development of new microservices
- You will take an active role in the technical growth of other team members, and the processes that support overall team growth
- You will help scoping and planning work across multi-team efforts, working closely with business partners to define a product vision in technical terms, and plan implementation and delivery
What's great about the role:
- Most engineers in Platform Security learned security standard methodologies on the job. As part of putting this program in place, you’ll benefit from an upgraded security training
- As a representative of Platform Security in another team, your mission will be very specific, allowing for greater impact
- The autonomy, pace, and quick decisioning of a startup, with the stability of Credit Karma’s mature platform and business
- You'll have lots of opportunity to break new ground, discover and solve brand-new challenges, and make key decisions impacting a large engineering organization
- And, of course, you get all those awesome company perks that you probably already read about
What we are looking for:
- 7-8 Professional experience developing large-scale, high-volume services in typescript, with bonus point for experience with GraphQL
- Significant professional experience in server-side development
- Knowledge in microservice architectures, messaging patterns, deployment models, domain driven design
- Professional experience across the entire software development process, from development environment, to CI & CD, to production deployment, product and application performance measurement
- Approaches problems with a pragmatic, analysis driven approach - understands well trade-offs between perfection and time, with an eye towards iterative delivery of product features, and utilizes this capacityto plan and deliver on product requirements
- Confident articulating complex technical content to peers and partners
- Security experience is a plus
- DevOps experience a plus, specifically Docker, Kubernetes, cloud services
- Proven ability and interest in mentorship of junior engineers
- A fun and positive attitude
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.