The Senior Compliance Officer is a senior leader on the Payments Compliance Team, leading a large portion of the Compliance team, overseeing Compliance projects and managing Compliance Operations. The position is responsible for leading the ongoing design, refinement and maintenance of our Compliance program. This role reports into the Chief Compliance Officer (Payments) and serves as a senior leader and people manager tasked with leading the Compliance team to ensure that our policies, Compliance Program and operational processes are best in class, designed to mitigate risks to the business, and ready for regulatory examinations in all relevant jurisdictions.
- Lead Compliance team members as a people manager, design our Compliance organization to ensure that we continue to scale to match the growth of our business, ensure that our team is appropriately staffed with Compliance professionals who are empowered to carry out our payments compliance program
- Serve as a leader within Airbnb Payments, use your subject matter expertise to partner with product and engineering teams to ensure that products meet Compliance requirements
- Oversee the Compliance Operations team, continuously evolve our operational processes to ensure that they scale with our business and become more effective and efficient over time
- Hire and manage Compliance teams in international market locations in support of the evolution of our Payments platform in new markets
- Work with the Compliance Product, Engineering, Data Science and Design teams to develop and implement best in class compliance processes and systems, continuously evolve our process
- Develop and maintain the company’s Compliance Policies and program for all relevant regulated jurisdictions
- Use data to provide impactful quantitative storytelling that enables confident business decisions.
- Coordinate with cross-functional business leaders to understand evolving product requirements and ensure that our Compliance program can support the evolution of our product
- Coordinate with the Compliance Officer to understand evolving trends and risks to the business, design controls based on our risk assessment to mitigate Compliance risks
- Ensure compliance risks are identified and raised for consideration to the CCO board as appropriate
- Independently manage your portion of our Compliance program and team
- Create, manage and maintain metrics to monitor team and program effectiveness, and ensure management has 24/7/365 visibility of the health of the Compliance programs
- Bachelor’s Degree or Technical Equivalent
- 12+ Years work experience, with demonstrated experience in payments, banking, or e-commerce
- People management experience, managing Compliance operations and project teams
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory and compliance issues related to payments and many of the applicable regulations both in the US and abroad.
- Demonstrated experience working with product and engineering to define requirements and implement effective technical tools
- Strong systems thinker
- Superior writing skills
- Ability to clearly articulate compliance requirements to a non-compliance audience
- Ability to work closely and build trust with management and board members
- Exceptional organization and process management ability
- High level of personal integrity, interest in payments as evidenced by related work experience, proven dedication to excellence, leadership qualities and a flexible, creative, innovative approach to problem solving
- Mission-driven, enthusiastic to learn and grow within the Airbnb community and embody our Core Values; team-oriented with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Professional experience and/or certification in project management a plus.
- Professional certification in compliance risk management preferred (CAMS/CFE/CFCS certification)