Founded in 2012, Bloc was the first online coding bootcamp. Today, Bloc offers aspiring career-switchers programs in web development, software engineering, and design. Bloc's approach employs continuous mentoring and a project-based curriculum to help its students launch new careers. In November 2014, Bloc closed a $6M Series A investment led by Shasta Ventures and joined by acclaimed seed investors Harrison Metal, Baseline Ventures, Learn Capital, and First Round Capital.
Most importantly, Bloc offers you an opportunity to join a tight-knit, excellence-driven team pursuing a worthy goal: to train, guide, and support those who aspire to new careers as developers and designers with an accessible online program.
Bloc’s mission is to help everyone pursue their craft and improve their lives. As a Mentor of Fundamentals at Bloc, you will work directly with students to support them on their journey to become software developers and designers.
- Prepare for and attend regular weekly mentor meetings with web development students to answer questions, explain basic web development concepts, pair program, and help hold students accountable for investing the time and effort required to succeed
- Provide quick, high-quality assignment feedback to students during the Fundamentals portion of their program
- Maintain a responsive, kind, encouraging presence in the Bloc online student community and respond swiftly to questions that arise
- Identify areas for improvement in the Bloc student experience and report it back to Program Directors
- Proctor mastery learning assessments for students
- Ability to work closely with other mentors, Mentor Ops, and Student Success to identify and implement solutions to student problems
- Must have at least 6 months of professional industry experience
- Detail-orientation is an absolute requirement - Nothing frustrates students more than subpar or faulty feedback from their mentor
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High level of detail orientation and an exceptional work ethic
- Must thrive working autonomously
- Must be coachable and adaptable to a fast-paced work environmentExcellent taste in design and delightful user experiences
Terms of Employment
- This role will last for a period of 6-months - We will re-evaluate an option to renew based on performance and mutual interest
- Eligible to work in the United States (Bloc does not currently sponsor visas)
- Remote, with a quiet workspace and a reliable, high-speed Internet connection
- Flexible full-time or part-time roles available, with the option to work evenings and weekends when Bloc students are active
- Must reside in one of the following states: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, or Wisconsin
Interested? Get in touch!
Please provide your resume and portfolio, and we’ll get in touch soon!
HACK THE PLANET.