Wealthsimple makes financial tools that are easy, accessible, and transparent. We are on a mission to democratize access to world-class financial tools for everyone, regardless of age, net worth, background, or education. With over $5+ billion in assets under management and 175,000+ clients, we're the market leader in Canada and are fast growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the largest and most innovative fin-tech companies in the world. Join us and change the future of finance.
Engineering at Wealthsimple
Wealthsimple’s Engineering team builds and manages the software that powers our services. We do this using a micro service architecture and an agile approach, focused on short iterations and rigorous automated testing, deploying our code over 100 times a day. We maximize our productivity by building high-performing teams and giving them autonomy to deliver results, working very closely with product management, design and operations to make sure that our work delivers maximum benefit for our clients.
The Trading Execution team is looking for an Engineering Manager with experience working with Trading Order Management Systems/Execution Platforms. You will lead a specialized team responsible for building technology solutions that support our trading operations. In general, our teams work with large amounts of transactional data, have an emphasis on backend API creation, maintenance and enhancement, and offer the opportunity for creating and scaling automation tooling. Knowledge of FIX is a requirement. We are also transitioning from a monolithic implementation to constellation of micro-services and this is the ideal time to leave your mark if you want to contribute to the design of such a system.
For this role, you are an engineering leader who:
- Has over 4 years of experience leading and managing software development teams.
- Believes that simple is better and can take ownership to see initiatives through.
- Enjoys working closely with teammates and internal stakeholders.
- Enjoy tackling new, complex challenges on a regular basis and loves to solve problems
- Has demonstrated the ability to quickly grasp new concepts.
- Enjoys thinking through a problem holistically from a client's perspective.
- Is able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Is experienced in managing multiple priorities while holding yourself accountable to high standards.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative environment where everyone helps each other grow.
- Loves to dive deep into the data, tools and languages they use.
- Believes that debate, inclusivity and transparency result in better products.
- Understands distributed systems and scale, but is also pragmatic.
- Can debug deadlocked threads, tune garbage collection, optimize memory usage and tweak database indices.
We're looking for someone who has:
- Experience with Java, Kotlin and/or C#
- Experience working with Trading Order Management Systems/Execution Platforms or with brokerage technologies.
- Experience with FIX Protocol
- Experience with trading platforms such as IRESS, Fidessa, EMSX would be a plus
- Some experience with micro-services and distributed systems.
- Proven track record of delivering well-designed and tested software.
- Experience with databases (SQL and NoSQL), Ruby on Rails or other object-oriented languages is a big plus
- A DevOps mind set where you will own your application end-to-end are able to understand and address infrastructure concerns.
- Be an effective communicator and work collaboratively across teams.
- Experience with databases and designing robust APIs.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to join a company that is changing the relationship people have with money.
- An opportunity to have an immediate impact through better decision-making using data.
- Generous benefit plan and Group RRSP matching program, competitive salaries, stock options and incentives for the success of both yourself and the company.
- $500 annual fitness credit and $1,200 annual education credit.
- Daily catered lunches, cold brew, snacks, and fun company off-sites, but most importantly, great coworkers to enjoy them with!
Wealthsimple is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture, one which reflects the world in which we live. We encourage applications from candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, indigenous peoples, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates and candidates with disabilities.
At Wealthsimple, we are dedicated to creating a culture with a diversity of talented individuals who join, stay, and work in an environment that enables them to thrive.
Accommodations: If you are an individual who requires accommodations please let us know. Wealthsimple aims to provide accommodation throughout its hiring process and beyond.