What you will be doing
Provide administration support for software development project(s); responsible for ensuring availability and optimization of the development environment as well as configuration and installation of tools to enhance team productivity. Will provide support for testing, system integration, installation scripts and other duties to support LAN and WAN networks. Willing to perform application testing and take support calls.
- Troubleshooting of standard daemons and tools (NFS, NTP, BIND, APACHE, SYSLOG, logrotate, chkconfig, init scripts, curl, general networking, etc.)
- Gain a general understanding of the system being developed as it relates to support
- Create, test, and maintain shell scripts for process automation and in direct support of customer requirements
- Continuously test the project's software on the most current versions of Linux to ensure compatibility with customer's systems in the field
What you will need
- Minimum 10 years technical experience with at least 5 years experience with installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of LAN, WAN, computer hardware and software the majority of which should be in a Linux environment
- Self-starter with background in Windows and Unix/Linux systems administration, configuration and maintenance
- Experience creating and managing virtual environments (VMWare)
- Experience performing and assisting with equipment specification, setup, problem resolution, network support, etc., related to computer hardware and software; and providing assistance to users
- Scripting experience (Shell, Python, Perl)
- Experience optimizing system operations
- Experience ensuring licensing agreements and system currency
- Problem-solver and team player with a positive attitude
- Experience with networking protocols
- Experience configuring and maintaining storage (i.e., netapp, EMC) is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics or similar degree and meets the experience requirements; or equivalent documented combination of training and experience. (will consider additional experience in lieu of degree)
- DoD TS/SCI + appropriate level polygraph required
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 350 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
*Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
- Competitive salary
- Office perks such as free soft drinks and snacks (both healthy and not-so-healthy)
- Praxis swag (annual gift certificate to purchase top brand Praxis apparel)
- Comprehensive health insurance plans
- Parental leave
- 401k contribution/match: combination of profit share/contribution (4%) and employer match (up to 4%) for a total of 8%.
- Annual bonus plan
- Four weeks Paid Time Off + 10 holidays + comp time eligibility
- Training is a priority! Take advantage of our endless in-house training opportunities - or seek out vendor offered (paid) training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and seminars.
- Conferences (recently attended by Praxis employees): AWS Summit, IoT World, Black Hat and DefCon.
- Training & Certifications: Splunk, AWS, Big Data/Cloudera, VMWare, Scrum Master...the list of certifications goes on and on!
- Praxis University: Cyber Research, Data Analytics, IoT, AWS and RedHat course offerings and hands-on training.
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and it's here at Praxis. Our work is extremely important, but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens every day.
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.