Solano Labs is looking for a talented front-end designer to join our growing team to help design and build the next generation of continuous integration/continuous deployment products. You’ll be responsible for a wide range of design tasks across product and engineering, and get to make a real impact on the way people perceive and interact with our flagship product, Solano CI.
Do you have a eye for great design, but also know how to write clean code? Is the idea of rapid prototyping, building style guides, and employing modular/atomic design patterns exciting to you? Do you enjoy bringing complex interactions to life?
If this sounds like something that will inspire you, come join a team that collaborates closely, iterates quickly, and has a very proactive mindset towards shipping quality code and design.
- 2+ years front-end design experience in either a start-up or agency environment
- Front-end: Examples of live websites, apps, or open-source repos showing well organized, well structured front-end architecture
- Design: Portfolio that shows simple and clear design solutions (rough designs that show good design thinking are always great)
- A demonstrated understanding of design elements and principles; an understanding of color theory and a proficiency for quality, readable typography
- Ability to communicate tactical front-end design decisions clearly, and to both give and receive thoughtful and constructive feedback
- Ability to collaborate well on both design ideation with product owners and integration and QA with engineering team
- Domain knowledge in enterprise software or continuous integration/deployment is a benefit but not required; general understanding of SaaS product model and/or experience building developer-facing software is extremely helpful
- Work with design lead and engineering teams to clearly understand each project’s objectives
- Develop and maintain a living styleguide and UI pattern library
- Take high-level design concepts—written outlines, sketches, wireframes, storyboards—and produce prototypes for usability testing
- Generate new design ideas or iterate on existing concepts and present them to the design team
- Organize and manage creative assets for designers and developers
Skills & Tools
- Ability to quickly prototype web and app views using only a text editor
- Deep working knowledge of HTML/CSS/Sass, with a focus on modular and scalable architecture (BEM, SMACSS, etc.)
- Ability to integrate, configure, and troubleshoot modern build systems (preferably Gulp, Webpack)
- Demonstrable experience with front-end design for mobile web, as well as of progressive enhancement principles
- Some experience with static site generators such as Middleman, DocPad, etc.
- Sketch 3 / Photoshop / Illustrator / Indesign / Keynote / Whatever gets it done
- A relentless curiosity for new techniques and technologies; always looking for new solutions; open to new ways of thinking
- Experience with SCRUM and/or Design Sprints
- Proficiency with Sass-based front-end frameworks (Foundation, Bourbon.io)
- Proficiency with Backbone.js and Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with React.js
- Familiarity with ES2015 (and transpiling to ES5 with Babel)
- Bad puns (or, great puns, depending on your point of view)
Why Solano Labs?
We are a group of experienced professionals that come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Our passion is in automating processes and continuously improving our product, company, and ourselves. We like punny jokes, and enjoy exploring and upgrading our regular lunch rotation. Drinks of all kinds are welcome here - Chinese tea, black coffee, whiskey, and beer are commonly consumed. We work hard, and so try to keep the atmosphere light and fun!
• Competitive salary and equity package
• Smart and accomplished team, with strong camaraderie
• Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits
• Flexible work hours
• Central location overlooking Union Square
We'd love to hear from you! Apply here and let us know why you'd make a great fit.
(We work in SF and do not cover relocation costs.)