The Field Manager (“FM”) will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients. The Field Manager will own the overall enrollment process, including tracking performance of field teams; achieving targets; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement. The Field Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for the Field Director and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on operational health. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards building a scalable and better-leveraged field org.
Campaign Management: [20%]
- The FM will be responsible for managing all aspects of ground operations:
- Set and own quantifiable targets like households enrolled and operational efficiency.
- Serve as the organization’s engine for continuous improvement of the enrolment process and recipient experience.
- Over time, reduce dependence on senior management and create more leverage for the Field Director through capacity-building and delegation.
Vision & Critical Thinking: [20%]
- The FM will be expected to be a strong contributor to the overall vision of the country office, engaging with the Field Director in country problem-solving.
- Conceive, develop and test new protocols and methods prior to overseeing scale up.
- Anticipate areas of risk and create mitigation plans (e.g. coordination on complex research partnership, slow-downs from pilots, etc.).
People Management: [20%]
- The FM will be expected to oversee a performance-oriented culture within your team (your reports and their reports), with all staff receiving feedback and development opportunities to achieve their potential.
- Hire, train and manage field staff.
- Run performance reviews for direct reports and build their capacity to do the same.
- Identify and coach high-potential field staff to grow on a quick promotion trajectory.
- Identify gaps in the org chart and propose solutions to Field Director
Data and Analysis: [20%]
- The FM will be expected to be comfortable using data to track performance, and inform decision-making, and to quickly build expertise within GD’s standard beneficiary data management and survey tools.
- Guide and support reports on data inquiries, skill development, and data analysis
- Work effectively with GD’s global data team (framing needs and expectations, and holding self and others accountable to agreed timelines)
- Meet the GD “bar” for online communication responsiveness (slack, email, phone)
- Present effectively to the management team (focusing on key insights, etc.)
- Communicate concisely and clearly across a variety of forms (written, presenting, verbal)
Support for auxiliary projects: [5%]
- Assist Field Director with hosting journalists, donors, and other external parties
- Assist Field Director with communicating and executing new projects / pilots / technologies (e.g. brainstorming options for community-based targeting, rolling out mobile app questions, etc.)
Team-building / morale: [5%]
- Monitor team dynamics and own follow-up on barometer activities
- Identify opportunities for morale-building (e.g. retreats, team events, incentive schemes, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Technology, Business Administration and any other relevant discipline
- 2-5 years experience in field management or program management at an international nonprofit organization or high performing organization
- Exceptional ability to logic through complex operational questions & run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Exceptional leadership and people management abilities with demonstrated success in motivating and developing front line managers
- Experience managing a call center is an added advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Hands on experience in metrics and reporting
- Demonstrated work ownership and initiative, while effectively communicating gaps and risks
- Proficient in Excel and Digital Data Gathering and ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and platforms
- GiveDirectly culture fit
- Recipients first.
We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
- Team next.
We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
- Be proactively candid.
We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
- Create positive energy
We strive to be a source - not drain - of energy for our colleagues.
- Think rigorously; act quickly.
We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
- Accept reality. Propose solutions.
We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
- Be productively ambitious.
We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
- Know yourself and grow.
We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.
**This application is open to internal candidates only**